Crunchy Chicken Nuggets Recipe
Can what we eat impact our sleep? Miriam Cooper from Mimi's Bowls tells us the truth behind this and what we should eat to sleep better; including these delicious nuggets!
There are no nasties in these chicken nuggets: if you make your own you know what's in them. I like to make a big batch, then freeze them. They will be a great standby on nights, when the fridge is looking empty. For smaller children you can omit flavourings (like garlic, lemon zest and paprika); and just keep it simple. I warn you adults will love these as much as kids!
- x4 free range chicken breasts, taken off the bone and skin removed
- 2 tablespoons natural yoghurt
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (optional for older kids to add flavour)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 200g breadcrumbs, I use wholemeal
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Cut the chicken breasts into chunks or strips, the size you would like the finished chicken nuggets to be (smaller nuggets will cook faster).
- To make the marinade - in a large bowl (that can hold the chicken pieces) add: the yoghurt and crushed garlic. Then add the chicken and coat in the marinade for 30 mins - 1 hour.
Whilst the chicken is marinating you can prepare the assembly line:
a) Mix the breadcrumbs you are using with a tablespoon of oil, scatter on a large tray to plate, ready for coating the chicken. (If making the breadcrumbs from leftover bread - take some wholemeal bread and blitz with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil).
b) Take another tray, or large plate and add the lightly beaten egg
- Once the chicken has finished marinating: add the chicken pieces to the egg and coat, then add to the breadcrumbs and coat evenly in the mix.
- Lay the chicken nuggets on a tray and bake at 180°C, for 20 minutes approx (longer if cooking from frozen). They should be completely cooked through. Test them by cutting one chicken nugget in half: the meat should be white with no traces of redness.
- They are now ready to eat ~ enjoy!