Recipe Suitable For Weaning: Green Quinoa Patties
These green quinoa patties are an ideal food for babies new to solids, and older children too. Although they have a nice crunch on the outside, they are still soft enough for little gums to chew on. Before attempting this recipe, you might want to learn more about weaning your little one and when it the right time to start introducing solids to their diet.
The quinoa, eggs and peas make the patties high in protein, and they are also fibre-rich to support healthy digestion. Broccoli and peas are good non-dairy sources of calcium too.
You could try making different versions of these patties by adding other veg - courgette, broad beans, carrot and sweet potato would all work well. You may need to alter the ratio of veg to quinoa and the cooking time for different consistencies based on the veg you use.
Ingredients (makes 25 patties)
• 1/2 cup quinoa (soaked for at least 8 hours, ideally overnight)
• 1/2 cup fresh/frozen peas
• 1/2 cup broccoli florets
• 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil/avocado oil
• 2 medium eggs
1. Preheat the oven to 180∞c (fan assisted).
2. Drain the soaked quinoa, rinse well and place in a saucepan with 1/2 cup of boiling water. Cover, bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, steam the peas and broccoli florets for 3 minutes, then blitz in a food processor.
4. Combine the blended veg, quinoa and oil in a large bowl, and add the beaten eggs. Mix well, and measure out a tablespoon of mixture for each pattie. Shape into flat discs, and lay out on a baking tray lined with grease proof paper. Bake in the over for 25 minutes until golden brown.
5. Keep patties in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Or freeze patties (either cooked or the raw mixture), defrost and heat up as needed.
For more healthy recipes, tips on nutrition and leading a lifestyle fuelled by good food, you can head over to Jodie Abrahams website!
Contact Jodie to book your complimentary 15 minute nutrition and lifestyle mini-consultation, quoting MORI15 in the subject line of your email.
Download your free sleep guide
Expert sleep advice from pregnancy to parenthood to help the whole family get a better night's sleep. Just enter your email address, click the below button and your download link will appear.