Nutritious Summer Roasted Rainbow Salad
This salad is an easy way to pack in lots of colourful veg, and substantial enough to eat as a meal in itself.
Serve it warm and freshly made, or pre-cook the ingredients, keep them in the fridge and throw them together for something quick when you need it.
I often make variations of this salad with whatever veg I've got in the fridge. In this version, I mix the roasted beetroot, carrot, red pepper and onions with peas and quinoa to up the protein content. Mixed leaves pack in some extra folate and vitamin C.
The lemony tahini dressing has a fiery kick from smoked paprika. It works brilliantly with the sweetness of the beets, carrots and onion, and makes it into something altogether more exciting.
Serves 2 (heartily)
• 1/2 cup quinoa
• 1/2 cup frozen peas
• Handful of mixed salad leaves (I used rocket, watercress & spinach)
• 2 carrots
• 1 large beetroot
• 1 red pepper
• 1 red onion
• 2 tbsp avocado/coconut oil
• 1 tbsp tahini
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• Juice of half a large lemon
• 1/4 tsp sumac
• 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1. Soak the quinoa in water, ideally overnight, and rinse well. Preheat the oven to 180°.
2. Place the quinoa in a saucepan, add 3/4 cup of boiling water (or 1 cup if the quinoa is un-soaked), bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes until the water has been absorbed.
3. Chop the carrots, beetroot and pepper lenghthways into batons, and the onion into wedges. Place in a roasting tin and coat with the avocado/coconut oil. Roast for 40 minutes, turning halfway through.
4. Put the peas in a bowl of boiling water for a minute, then drain.
5. Mix all the salad ingredients together, adding the chopped mixed leaves.
6. Combine the dressing ingredients, mix well, then drizzle over the salad and serve.
7. If you want to split this into two separate meals, mix the peas and quinoa, and store the rest of the salad ingredients and the dressing separately in the fridge for up to 3 days.
For more healthy recipes, tips on nutrition and leading a lifestyle fuelled by good food, you can head over to Jodie Abrahams website!
Contact Jodie to book your complimentary 15 minute nutrition and lifestyle mini-consultation, quoting MORI15 in the subject line of your email.
Download your free sleep guide
Expert sleep advice from pregnancy to parenthood to help the whole family get a better night's sleep. Just enter your email address, click the below button and your download link will appear.